Sunday, July 26, 2009

Late To The Party

For someone who is freakishly obsessive about being on time (if not early) for appointments, meetings, and flights, it seems like a contradiction that I'm consistently late to every party.

Example 1:

9702 people started knitting Cookie A.'s Monkey Socks before I finally cast on for mine.


I'm making them from my own handspun (Crown Mountain Farms Superwash Merino in the Aqualung color way). The pattern as written would be a little big for my skinny feet so I chose a finer gauge yarn and smaller needles. It should work out perfectly.

It's an easy, fun-to-knit pattern. If I'd actually concentrate a little, I'd finish them up in no time.

Example 2:

I'm also arriving late (#3777) on this:

It's the Lace Ribbon Scarf by Veronik Avery (Knitty, Spring 2008). I'm using my one and only skein of Handmaiden Sea Silk. I'm really enjoying this. There is enough of a pattern to keep me interested but simple enough that I can work on it in a social setting without making mistakes. Or many mistakes...

Late To My Own Freakin' Party

Last month I hit the big 5-0. I found out around that time that my husband had started planning a surprise party for me, but those plans had been scratched when we realized that I was likely to lose my job. Somehow spending money on a bash didn't seem like the smartest thing to do. And as we'd anticipated, we were right. No big deal - I had a nice birthday without the party.

But less than 4 weeks later things turned around again so we decided to go for the party again, even though it would no longer be a surprise. So this weekend we did it, a little late. It was small, and fun, and a very nice way to spend an afternoon.

There was wine.

There was cake.

One doesn't need any more than that but I have lovely, generous friends so there were presents as well.


I wish I had more pictures but I managed to carry my camera around all afternoon and didn't take it out even once.

I am a lame blogger. But a tired and happy one as well.

Tired enough to let Trouble control the remote this evening:

8 comments:

pdxknitterati/MicheleLB said...

I haven't done the Monkeys or the Lace Ribbon yet, either. Maybe when I get to 50! Happy belated; it looks like you had a nice time.

Melissa said...

If it makes you feel better I finished my Monkey socks earlier this year and I haven't done the Lace Ribbon scarf yet. Also, I haven't made a clapotis. Yeah, I'm really behind the times...

~Donna~ said...

I'm probably the latest of all, I haven't knit any of that or any pattern from Knitty or Ravelry or anywhere.

I've been in the SF Sock club since Sept and I have yet to do a pair.

I just can't get anything started or done.

Looks like your party was wonderful. Wine, cake, Friends, presents and a very helpful dog. Perfect!

Happy b-day again!

Big Alice said...

Happy belated birthday!

I think it's neat that you're making the socks out of your handspun.
Happy monkeying!

Cookie said...

How are you 50?! You're my age!

I'm so glad that you got to have a birthday gathering. Even if it was a bit late.

I aspire to knit socks with my own handspun.

xo

Cara said...

Yay for birthdays!!! Happy happy happy day!

Anonymous said...

50 is great; My mom told me that after she turned 50. After I turned 50, it was also my experience. Welcome to the club. Congradulations all around; Yarn, Party, Friends, and Job for your Birthday. Not too shabby!

Leah

AlisonH said...

Late to the party is right--that makes you half a year younger than me, about time you caught up! Heh.