Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Firsts!

Remember this? It's some of the roving I dyed at Jasmin's. Out of the three batches I dyed it was the one I prefered the least. It just didn't grab me the way the other ones do, and I thought I might have used too many colors and they'd all mix together when spun and turn out kind of drab. Well what did I know?

I haven't spun the other ones up yet but oh MY, I think it just jump-frogged into first place. This was my first attempt at Navajo plying. Well actually my very first try was about 10 minutes before this, with about 20' of scrap. Once I got the movement down, I went for it with this roving and I love it! If I'd just plied this as I usually do with 2 strands from separate bobbins, I think it would have turned out kind of muddy. But the Navajo plying keeps the subtle colors clear. I thought it was really over-plied at first but a good soak and then hanging it to dry seem to have taken care of that. So YAY!

Another first - I love to cook but had never cooked Persian food (we go out for it when we can - I have yet to try a dish I haven't liked). This is from A Taste of Persia by Najmieh K. Batmanglij. The dish is called khoresh-e qormeh sabzi - a fresh herb stew with chicken and kidney beans - and is served on top of saffron basmati rice. It's easy to do, though it does take time - and that time is well worth it. Freakin' yum!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! Oh, and I'm totally coming to your house for dinner. Drool.

Cindy/Snid said...

OMG. Yarn- you made YARN!!!!!!
That is so freakin' awesome!

I am proud of you.
And a little jealous too.
My wheel and I are are still in the "getting to know you" stage.

So, you give me hope! Awesome.

spinnity said...

dyed yarn is beautiful and sooooo soft. I'm totally impressed with your spinning prowess!