Saturday, March 27, 2010
See? Doesn't she look mature? We had a little party for her that included pizza and ice cream. Someone decided to decorate:
I'm pretty sure it wasn't Brian.
We're actually not sure exactly of Miele's birth date; but when we got her from the rescue league they indicated she'd probably been born in March, so we chose the first day of spring as her day.
And Boy Has It Sprung...
It's spring in California and now that I've been here four years I can actually tell the difference between the seasons - it's subtle, especially compared to Vermont. Lots is happening in the garden:
Rosemary is flowering.
So are the fava beans (if my husband picks up a bottle of nice Chianti I'm going to be nervous).
Figs are getting bigger.
And the apricots are going nuts!
Trouble and Miele like to help with the compost.
There has been harvesting too! I just pulled these radishes about an hour ago.
Peas, carrots and spinach...
And around December sometime, Brian found a potato that had started sprouting. So he cut it into chunks and planted it. This is only part of what he brought home; over 5 pounds of potatoes so far! If you've never had a home grown potato before, you have to try it. I didn't see the point of growing one's own for a long time - it seemed like a lot of garden space for something you can buy pretty cheaply. But the difference in taste is amazing. So worth it!
I've been at my job 3 weeks now and I am happier at work than I have been in years. I have been putting in as many (if not more) hours than I did at my last job but how I feel about them is completely different. I'm no longer taken for granted, I'm not expected to sit around for extra hours to be at someone's beck and call (and then told, after waiting for 2 hours, 'oh no, we can do that tomorrow'), and the fact that I'm now hourly, so any overtime brings in extra cash doesn't hurt either. And, my boss is great and seems as happy with me as I am with him. I hope this one lasts! The job I mean - I'm pretty sure the boss will last a while; he's young.
See these? He's not the only one at work who makes me feel appreciated. These were sent to me by someone I hadn't met - but had helped set up a meeting on short notice. Nice, huh?
Slowly But Surely...
I have been chipping away at the Olive Peasy Sweater. I'm actually almost done; maybe an inch or so more to the body, then I just have the neck button band to go.
This actually shows it a few inches shorter than it is now. If I actually concentrate and knit instead of falling asleep on the couch maybe I'll be able to bind off before Monday. Who knows - maybe my next post will be about an FO; it has been a while since I've been able to do that.
Miele liked this shot better as it shows off her feathery tail. I had no idea she was such a girly girl.
Monday, March 15, 2010
1. Explain what ended your last relationship? Decided I didn't deserve abuse and being alone was preferable to being in that marriage. I have since found a good one. :)
2. When was the last time you shaved? My head? 2003.
3. What were you doing this morning at 8 a.m. I'd already been at work for an hour.
4. What were you doing 15 minutes ago? Reading blogs.
5. Some things you are excited about? New job! Awesome.
6. What is your favorite flavor of JELL-O? Don't normally care for it but craved it during chemo. Then my favorite flavor was red.
7. Your prom night, what do you remember about it? I went to a very bohemian private boarding school; we didn't have proms.
8. Do you have any famous ancestors? Not that I'm aware of. Lots of crazies though. Surprised?
9. Last thing received in the mail? Makeup from Paula's Choice.
10. How many different beverages have you had today? 3. Coffee, water, fizzy water.
11. Do you ever leave messages on people’s answering machine? Ummm...yeah (if they still have one)
12. Do you draw your name in the sand when you go to the beach? Nope. I have drawn cartoon turkeys though (Karen, if you're reading this, whatever happened to Mig?).
13. Any plans for Friday night? Probably park on the couch and fall asleep. My life on the edge...
14. Do you like what the ocean does to your hair? Yeah - coarse and frizzy totally suits me.
15. Have you ever received one of those big tins of 3 different popcorns? Could a question be more random?
16. Do you re-use towels after you shower? Yup.
17. Describe your keychain(s)? It's a carabiner that I attach to another carabiner that's hooked around the strap of my purse. I also have an emergency whistle attached.
18. Where do you keep your change? Wallet. Though it often falls out and ends up in the bottom of my purse.
19. When was the last time you spoke in front of a large group of people? Don't remember - rarely do it.
20. What kind of winter coat do you own? Burton Snowboards (Formula?) jacket. I used to have about 10 (since I worked at Burton for over a decade) but I gave away most of them before and after my move to California. I'd rather someone really use it than have it sit in a closet.