Sunday, January 17, 2010

On Epiphanies and Monochromy

So Is That How It Happens?

Every Sunday, Kathy and I get together to go walking; we usually do a couple of miles, talking all the way. This morning we discussed how we'd each had recently had the same epiphany: projects get completed when you actually work on them. Wow. Who knew?

I have been an accomplishing machine:

I started the Haruha Scarf in June 2008. I used Lana Gatto VIP (wool/cashmere blend) that I won a million years ago, and dyed about a year later in a fit of productivity. I'd completed about six inches and then it sat marinating in the UFO bin until two weeks ago.

Once I got going on it, it sped right along. Two days ago it looked like this:

I was so anxious to finish it I stayed up 'til 1:00 this morning to finish it, and blocked it before I headed out to walk:

Close up:

And here it is, done! I have no idea why I let it sit for so long - it's an easy pattern and the yarn soft, not-splitty, and completely faboo.


I finished another project as well; one I started in July. Alison had given me some Qiviut, explaining that she couldn't spin as fine as that particular fiber required. I started it in July as part of my Tour de Fleece project, but abandoned it due to finding a job and subsequently losing any semblance of life balance. Part of my resolution to finish some projects included getting back to my spinning wheel again; I hadn't spun in months! This was a good project to pick up; it had to be spun pretty fine, but there was only one ounce of the fiber, so how long could it really take?

Well I went from here:

to here:

to here:

to here, in about a week.

Upon which I promptly ignored Alison's orders to keep it and gave it back to her so she could knit it into something lovely to pass on, as is her way. I can't wait to see what she makes with it!

It's Looking a Little Bland Around Here...

So that makes two formerly-stagnated things completed this month so far, and three projects total for 2010. My goal was to finish one UFO per month, so I'm ahead of the game. I'm not sure what I'll work on next, but after looking through the pictures I've posted today so far, I think whatever it is, it won't be brown. Browns in the scarf. Brown Qiviut. My obligatory food picture of the day (home-made chai) is brown:

Even Miele's nose is brown. Thank goodness there's the blue of my jeans to liven up the shot...


Next post's pictures will be livelier. I promise. Maybe I'll knit something black.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

So you're saying that black is the new brown?

Cookie said...

You've been busy! I hope there's more spinning in your future!

xo

Tiny Tyrant said...

You can post pics of Miele any time you want.

I never get tired of that precious face.

AlisonH said...

It's gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous, and I know exactly whom it should go to; thank you thank you thank you. I've been letting it intimidate me a little, though; it has to be perfect from the get-go, no frogging, no swatching, just RUN!

I'm working up the courage. I've given myself a deadline of the end of next week, and I know as soon as I start I'll be like, come ON, what was my *problem!*

Ryan said...

The Haruha is unbelievably gawjus. Thank you for sharing! It went well with my morning coffee.

sil said...

Oh hush with that "work on it" logic! I like to think shoving things under the bed makes them better. Mind closed.

Toni said...

I'm giving you the "Sunshine" award! See my knitting blog for details